SANCA – the School of Acrobatics and New Circus Arts – is currently seeking to hire camp coaches to support its summer camps. Hours are five days per week, M-F, 4-5 hours per day between the times of 8:30am-3:30pm. The position is temporary for summer camps that run through September 4, 2020. Camp coaches hired during summer 2020 may be considered for coaching positions at SANCA beyond that date.
Coaches must commit to a minimum of 5 weeks out of the summer and must be able to attend orientation. All coaches will be trained to coach to SANCA’s standards of safety and skill progressions.
Please note: COVID Health and Safety Policy and detailed guidelines are in place to protect the health of students, coaches, and staff, and to reduce the spread of COVID-19. All camps are conducted according to King County Public Health and State of Washington guidelines. There is a required, paid, 90-minute training session to help orient coaches to the policy. Read the full policy on our website.
SANCA’s Summer Camp Program provides a fun, engaging, and safe experience for youth between ages 6-17. Coaches will instruct campers in trampoline, tumbling, aerial rope, aerial silks, static trapeze, juggling, and other circus skills. Coaches will help to create a supportive and fun experience that includes teamwork, a positive atmosphere, and the joy of circus. We emphasize helping campers through the challenges of learning new things by breaking complex skills down into steps and helping students feel successful, whatever their rate of progression.
- Present a warm and welcoming demeanor towards campers and parents, and engage with their campers in a fun and constructive manner
- Maintain a safe environment for the student, physically and emotionally, and according to COVID-19 guidelines
- Supervise and instruct campers in a variety of circus skills and apparatuses, as assigned by SANCA’s camp manager
- Work cooperatively alongside other coaches and communicate effectively with the camp manager
- Provide motivational support and guidance to campers
- Uphold SANCA’s mission at all times (SANCA is dedicated to improving the mental, emotional, and physical health of children of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities by engaging them in the joyous creativity of acrobatics and circus arts. SANCA provides quality instruction in unique physical arts in a safe, supportive, nurturing environment that provides both challenge and reward to the student.)
- Be present and ready to greet campers before camp starts and work with other coaches to clean up camp areas after camp ends (this is paid time)
- Help campers develop social skills during snack, lunch, and other ‘down’ time
- Assist younger campers with art projects
- Working knowledge in movement based activities, especially circus or gymnastics, and willingness to learn additional movements and skills required
- Experience working with children
- Ability to lift equipment and to spot students where appropriate
- Ability to motivate and effectively communicate with co-workers, parents and students
- Exercises mature judgment and sound decision-making
- Demonstrates enthusiastic attitude and positive demeanor
- CPR and/or First Aid certification
- Experience working at or taking classes at SANCA
Depending on the applicant’s experience and expertise, pay generally for new staff ranges from $16.00-$18.00 per hour.
Send resume and a brief introduction email to: email@example.com. SANCA is seeking coaches to begin July 27 and/or August 3, 2020, so it is recommended that interested candidates apply as early as possible.